Our dog handler position is focused on creating a safe environment for our dogs to interact, play and learn. This position is focused on increasing positive experiences for the dogs, and also the overall function of the daycare.
The dog handler position is an individual who has experience working with dogs, as it requires patience and diligence. They should have a strong desire to lead while balancing being a team player. They must share a passion for animal behavior and the relationships that humans have with their dogs.
As with all of our staff we expect a desire to internalize the mission, purpose, values and goals of Walkin’ The Dog.
The ideal candidate is friendly and able to be flexible with the dogs in the group as their energy level as it changes throughout the day. Our dog handlers need to be great communicators to achieve an atmosphere that conducive for our dogs and staff.
A dog handler will work directly with manager/owner on duty.
Key Areas of Responsibility include:
- Monitor and evaluate the dogs in daycare.
- Maintain a safe environment for both dogs and employees
- Execute daily schedule of walking/potty breaks, play yard time.
- Feeding the dogs.
- Participates in overall cleaning of daycare to maintain safe and healthy environment.
- Must have ability to work as a team, communicating with managers/owners as well as be able to lead junior handlers.
Skills, knowledge and abilities needed
- Demonstrate and support positive person interactions with all staff
- Have an ability to interact and communicate effectively with team members
- Must be able to stay focused and flexible and sometimes chaotic environment
- Being able to grasp new information and put into action
- Have attention to detail
- Ability to learn from mistakes and move on
- Must have some experience and background in dog behavior
Good to Know
- We are looking to add 2-3 team members over the next couple of months. This is a year round business.
- This position is a part time position that can grow into a full-time position for the right candidate.
- Most “shifts” will happen Monday through Friday between 7:30AM – 7:00PM, so no need to work weekends and/or late nights.
- Pay: starting at $15.00 per hour or DOE